Monday, November 8, 2010

Corner Kick

I have always liked taking corner kicks when playing soccer. I am not the tallest player on the field, so I feel that my kicking and placement abilities far outweigh my ability to score on a corner kick. I do however only like to kick on the right side of the field because I am a left footed kicker; therefore I have a better chance of curving it towards the net. I was playing a pick-up game a few weeks ago where I curved the ball enough to where I scored without the aid of the other players, though this was not my intention when kicking the corner kick. Corners can be taken in really only about two ways. The first being the kick toward the net into the goal box, and the other being a short pass to a teammate. The shorter pass usually allows for the offense to increase the angle of the shot on goal. This was best seen with the controversial call on the Manchester United vs. Chelsea game in the 08-09 season. One of the players, Wayne Rooney went to the corner and acted like he was going to kick the ball. He put the ball on the corner circle any gentle touched it to the outside of the circle with his foot, essentially taking the kick. Another teammate then took the ball and passed it to the center, resulting in a goal. The player who headed the ball in was not awarded the goal because the play even tricked the line referee and was thus not called as a goal because a corner kick has to touch another player before it is touched by the initial corner kicker. Even though the corner kicker, Rooney, initiated the play, the referee did not see it so it was assumed that the other player touched the ball repetitively before it was touched by another player.

No comments:

Post a Comment