Tuesday, October 5, 2010
Clearer Judgment with Sensors
There has always been a problem with judgment calls in soccer. I really like to play fairly. If a ball clearly touches my hand or I have a better view on the ball that I am dribbling that goes out of bounds, I will make it known in the game that I am playing in. It does not feel right if there was a benefit that derived from an action that should have stopped the play and turned the ball over to the opposition. Well there is a ball that has been engineered with a sensor in the center of the ball to help with those calls. It is currently inside one of my premium match soccer balls and is used in the English Premier League. The ball has a sensor that is stabilized in the center of the ball, and it almost looks like it is held together by rubbery threads to keep it in the center. It must remain in the center of the ball to accurately assess if the ball truly broke any designated plane. This has come into question many times when a player strikes the ball and some fraction of the ball passes the plane. The whole ball has to pass the line and with these sensors on the balls, it makes calling a goal that much easier for the referee. There is a wire that goes around the goal that creates a magnetic field that can retrieve the signal of a sensor in the ball. Other applications can be seen with an application of this wire around the whole field to help justify if a ball goes out of bounds.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment